Accredited Cyber Security Course
10 Month Bootcamp
Coder Academy’s new Cyber Security Bootcamp delves deeper into hands-on training using relevant technologies than traditional learning models and enables you to become a cyber-aware, secure coder in just 10 months. Graduate with an accredited qualification and the opportunity to participate in a 1 month optional internship.
Download the Course Guide
Why study Cyber Security?
More and more of us are going online. More and more businesses are going online. More and more of our lives are going online.
According to a report by IBM, it’s estimated that 1.7MB of data will be created every second for every person on earth by 2020. Right now, there are 2.5 quintillion—that’s 2.5 billion gigabytes (GB) of data (minimum!)—being created each day. The world has officially gone digital, meaning that it’s become crucial for individuals and businesses to protect themselves as well as their precious data.
In 2018, listings for cyber security related jobs in Australia surged 173% compared to the previous year, with many of these roles remaining unfilled. This means that countries like Australia only have 7% of the cyber security talent they need to keep up with demand.
Cyber security by the numbers:
- 516,380 — the number of Australian small businesses that fell victim to cyber crime in 2017, according to Norton.
- 25 hours or more — the amount of downtime one in four businesses hit by cyber attacks suffer.
- $1.9 million — the average cost to a medium sized business if hit by a cyber attack.
- One — the number of staff members that hackers need to dupe in order to gain access to your business’ data.
Why Coder Academy?
Coder Academy’s Cyber Security Bootcamp is the first of its kind in Australia enabling students to gain a higher ed Diploma of IT, as well as have the option to undertake WithYouWithMe’s (WYWM) Cyber Security Analyst online course. Students also have the opportunity to participate in an optional 1-month industry internship at the end of the program.
Our Cyber Security Bootcamp goes beyond hacking and data breaches. The Cyber Security Bootcamp creates an application developer who is cyber aware, who has the foundations of programming, software engineering and information systems provided by the Diploma of Information Technology.
The bootcamp mode is an intensive, industry-led model with a focus on hands-on, practical learning that prepares students for an entry level role in cyber security by teaching them the fundamentals of programming and computer science in a work-like environment.
What you will learn
Coder Academy’s Cyber Security Bootcamp is the first of its kind in Australia! The 10-month long, immersive, practical bootcamp will prepare those with an interest and passion in IT and cyber security for a career in one of the world’s fastest growing and essential industries. With industry experts leading the course, the Cyber Security Bootcamp will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to launch your career. The course also includes an optional 1-month optional internship, offering all students the opportunity to experience putting their skills to the test within startups, tech companies, and large organisations.
What you’ll learn
- System Design
- Security Fundamentals
- Cyber Threats & Attacks
- Security Operations
- Full time study load with face-to-face classes on campus
- Optional 1 month optional internship after the final term
- Gain hands-on experience programming, designing and developing systems, and application security necessary to have the technical knowledge and sophistication to break into a career in cyber security
- Graduate with an accredited IT qualification that gives you pathways into cyber security and application development
All domestic applicants must:
- All applicants must be aged 18 and above; and
- Successful completion of Australian Year 12 or equivalent; and
- Successful in-person or online interview with an Admissions Officer, where applicants are encouraged to prepare a portfolio for consideration;
- Alternative entry may be available in certain circumstances (e.g. where applicants have completed relevant work experience/qualification prior to entry);
- Applicants may be required to undergo an Admissions Test prior to entry
All international applicants must:
- meet all the requirements for domestic applicants;
- have IELTS 5.5 (no band less than 5.0) or equivalent which has been completed within the last 12 months;
- hold compulsory overseas student health insurance (OSHC) whioch may be purchased from AIT and paid with the initial enrolment payment.
All applicants to the Cyber Security Bootcamp must satisfy TWO of the following:
- achieved a grade of not less than 70% in at least one STEM subject in Year 12 (or equivalent); and/or
- demonstrated interest in coding and cyber security
- successful completion of a problem solving test
Our course runs for 40 weeks (10 months) plus an optional 4-week optional internship. This allows us to cover the large amount of knowledge and skills that must be mastered to be job ready in the fast-evolving cyber security industry. Check our course guide for the broad range of topics we cover.
On campus, 9am-5pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
9am - 1pm
Morning challenge, revision, content delivery on practical
2pm - 5pm
Afternoon challenge, practical exercises, one-on-one with educators
Technical skills aren’t the only important factor in getting a job in cyber security. Coder Academy’s industry partners emphasise the importance of soft skills, which include collaboration, communication, management skills, and emotional intelligence. Agile methodology and other developer tools are also utilised in the classroom to emulate the real-world work environment.
In undertaking the Cyber Security Bootcamp course, successful completion of assessments, and sufficient attendance, will lead to the award of a higher education Diploma of Information Technology by the Academy of Information Technology.
The trainers for the Diploma of Information Technology are experienced educators and developers who make sure you are learning fundamentals of software development, assess your competence throughout the course and support you to get the most out of the learning opportunities offered in the course.
International: $24,950 + $200 enrollment fee
Next intake dates for 2019 and 2020 are currently being finalised. Stay tuned!
What if I don’t have a laptop?
You will need to bring your own device to class and will need a device to work on some projects outside of scheduled class hours.
What laptop specs are required?
Please ensure your computer is 2015 or later with at least 8GB of RAM. You will have a better experience with a Mac or Linux but a computer with Windows 10 is also fine.
Are there any other requirements or equipment needed?
We will provide all software applications that are required throughout the course. Other than your own device and general stationery items there is nothing else you will need to bring.
What is the expected commitment outside of class hours? Will I have homework?
In order to complete the projects throughout the course students will need to spend time outside of class hours studying, practicing and working on assessments. The amount of time and effort you can put in will reflect what you get out of the course. It is suggested that students in the bootcamp would do at least 10 hours per week self-study. The more you put in, the more you will get out of it.
Is there a part time or online delivery option?
The Cyber Security Bootcamp is designed to be an intensive and accelerated course, therefore no part time option is available. Similarly no online option is available as we feel face-to-face learning in a team environment is the best way to ensure all students are given the support they need to be industry ready upon graduation.
International student application procedure?
Apply via the standard application form, see entry requirements for international students above.
The Cyber Security Bootcamp is a great first step for graduates and career changers looking to start careers and/or develop their skills toward the following roles:`
- Cyber Security Analysts
- Application Developers
- Incident Responders
- Ethical Hackers (Red Team)
- Bug Bounty Hunters
- Penetration Testers (Red Team)
At Coder Academy, we’re passionate about looking for ways we can encourage diversity in the tech workforce, particularly in information security. Women currently hold only 11% of cyber security positions globally, and the stats are similar for many other minority groups.
To combat the lack of diversity in the field of information security, Coder Academy is proud to offer Diversity Scholarships for the upcoming intake of the Cyber Security Bootcamp. The scholarship will cover 50% of the total course fee to open the door for those who need it most.
All scholarship entries will be judged on an application form and video submission, and finalists will be determined following an interview.
*Terms and conditions apply